Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Imagination Gone Wild . . .


Snicker.

Don't you just love the names of some books? Here's a few that capture my attention . . .


  • "All the Tea in China" a missionary book by Jane Orcutt
  • "Reclaiming Nick" by Susan May Warren
  • "Bayou Justice" "Bayou Corruption" "Bayou Judgment" and "Bayou Paradox" by Robin Carroll. (Anything to do with Louisiana captures my interest!)

  • "Along Came Love" by Carrie Turinsky
  • "The Root of All Evil" and "The Lost Sheep" by Brandt Dodson (love this guy's writing & by the way, I sat under one of his classes at the ACFW conference. Talked with him, too. He is a cool guy.)
  • "The Winter Pearl" by Molly Noble Bull (look for her interview soon!)

  • "Petticoat Ranch" by Mary Conneally
  • "In the Midst of Deceit" by Deborah Piccurelli
  • "The Guy I'm Not Dating" by Trish Perry

  • "Chocolate Beach" by Julie Carobini
  • "A Pirate's Prize" by Lena Nelson Dooley (gave me a great critique!)
  • "Sushi for One" by Camy Tang
I also like story titles like these:

The Cat Who Went Bananas (Lillian Jackson Braun)
The Shadow of Suspicion (Emily Loring)
and lots of Martha Grimes books: "The Old Contemptibles," "The Man with a Load of Mischief," and "A Dinner to Die For."

Then I have a couple of friends who are writing stories. Here's some of their titles:

Jazz Baby (Christy)
Alabama Rain (Lin)
Chasing the Wind (Jam)


Don't those just make you want to dig into those novels?

I'm not much on one-word titles, although that's all the fad right now. Of course, that won't stop me reading, if the book is good.

This is just a scratch on the surface of interesting novel titles. There are so many, who can name them? I guess that goes to show what imaginations we humans have . . . or maybe I should say, we writers have.

What catches your attention?



I love hummingbirds! Here's a few hints to keep them coming!
Pour 4 cups of hot tap water into a large pot or pan (don't use aluminum).

Add one cup of table sugar
(No honey or artificial sweeteners)

Stir until sugar has dissolved.

Cover the pan, bring the mix to a rolling boil for 1-2 minutes. don't let the water evaporate.

Cool and pour into well-cleaned feeders.

Notes:
  • boiling is not necessary if birds are draining the feeders within 3 days
  • red food coloring is not necessary once birds have found the feeders.
  • feed extra mix until needed
  • the usual water/sugar ratio is 4:1. When weather is hot, cut back on the sugar.



Quote:
A few days ago I walked along the edge of the lake and was treated to the crunch and rustle of leaves with each step I made. The acoustics of this season are different and all sounds, no matter how hushed, are as crisp as autumn air.
-- Eric Sloane


Blessings

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey there! I love the titles my editor and I came up with! And that the bayou series are literal titles is way cool, IMHO!

Happy Reading!

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...