Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Importance of Having . . .

A literary agent.

I guess I'm prejudiced. You see, the first time I talked with one in person, was one that I'd been terrified to meet. That's how much first impressions are true. She was sweet, friendly, and easy to talk to.

Her business was also the one that I felt like God wanted me to be with.

So I sent in my proposal and waited. In God's timing, I received an email from Diana with an invitation to contract with them.

What's that mean?

It means I have someone in my corner. I have an edge. Almost all the publishing houses refuse to accept manuscript submissions . . . unless you speak with them at a conference and get invited to do so, or . . . you have an agent.

She's (or he) there to bounce ideas off of (as I did this week).
She's there to answer questions.
She's there to give suggestions if she thinks adjustments are needed to your manuscripts.
She's there to give you a nudge or boost when you need it.
She's there to submit to publishing houses.
She's there to go through the rejections with you. (WE (not you) received a rejection)
She's there to share in the good things happening in your life.
She's there to negotiate when you finally get that coveted contract.

She's worth her weight in gold.

I really, really do thank God for my agent. Diana. We're a team. She's an encourager.



Quote:
If you don't know where you are going, you'll probably end up somewhere else. --Lawrence J. Peter & Raymond Hall


Blessings

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...