Wednesday, September 08, 2010

I Love Having Children's Writer,
Diana Symons on My Blog Today!

Please read on to find out a little about her . . .


How long have you known that you were a writer? Did you receive a clear “call?” Or have you just loved writing all your life?

I have always loved writing and making up stories. When I was young, I would go through magazines and cut out pictures that I liked then write poems about them. It never occurred to me that I could actually be a professional writer until I was laid off of work sometime back and I had the time to write more. Since then, different people who don’t know me well have prayed over me to write, so it was a good encouragement to keep it up.

What is the genre you write in? Would you explain what it is?

I have two genres that I write in: children’s fiction and adult fantasy. I like to write for young readers, 8-10ish. For some reason, I love those stories. They’re just fun. I also like adult fantasy, though not science fiction. I like to think of how God would show Himself in other cultures or how the angelic world interacts with our world.

Tell us about your new book. What is the spiritual message in it? What can readers expect to get from reading it? How and where can readers buy your book?

Where the Jewels Are is a fairytale about a princess who wants more than she needs. Her Father knows her heart and sends her on a journey to find a rare jewel, but that jewel turns out to be an old friend. There are study questions at the end to talk about how we should value other people and how much God values us. It’s available on Amazon and http://www.christianbooks.com/.

Do you ever feel like giving up? Most people don’t understand the stress, the work, and the joy of being a writer. How tenuous becoming a writer is. Do you care to share how it feels, what discouraging/encouraging times you’ve gone through?

I have gone through that phase of questioning my decision to be a writer. It was dark. I came out of it when I read somewhere that EVERY writer goes through it. I’m not sure why it made me feel better to know that everyone else also goes dark at some point, but it snapped me out of it. It’s almost a good sign when you think about it. If you are successful in your calling, then you will probably attract attention from the enemy. You just have to remember who you are and why you’re working. We make a difference in the world.

Who’s inspired you the most?

I was inspired, or kicked in the butt, by my sister for years. I would write something and show it to her and she always loved it long after I put it down and forgot about it. She told me for years to get it together and write seriously. She’s been my biggest fan and best butt kicker. I really needed it.

Would you explain how you “chose” (or were chosen by) a publisher? Do you just go “inny, minny, miny, moe?” Grin. Now, that you’re published, can you sit back and relax from the success you’ve experienced?

I started my own company to print my children’s books. I sent them out to a few places with no response, so I just decided to do the work myself. Honestly though, I had no idea how much work it would be. For the adult novel that I’m working on now, I met an editor and agent at a writer’s conference, Mt. Hermon. It was a great place to pitch my story and get feedback on what they were looking for.

Do you mind telling us some of your likes and dislikes? Hobbies, interests? Where would you like to travel if you could?

  • I love gardening and cooking. I absolutely love to come in from the garden with an armful of veggies and pull together dinner that’s as fresh as it can get. I spend a lot of time in the garden just enjoying the flowers and checking on how the veggies are growing.
  • I love road trips.
  • I like to stop at historical sites, especially very old ones where there’s been archeological discoveries.
  • And I love to eat local lobster in Boston, conch in Key West, garlic soup at a Basque town in Nevada. I had a bad reaction to a Cajun dish in New Orleans so eating local actually bit back once.
Would you give us your blog or webpage so everyone can check it out? Anything else you’d like to share? Promotional information?

My website is http://www.dianasymons.com/. I love to hear from people. It’s just a joy to hear that someone read my book and liked it. The kids are so delightful to hear from. It’s the mighty Amen to why we write.

Thanks so much for visiting today, Diana! I've loved having you.
 
Blessings!

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...