Friday, March 30, 2012

A Warm Welcome to Elsie Brunk!

Please note that Elsie is giving away a copy of her book.  One person who comments on today's blog will be randomly chosen and gifted by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas with a digital copy of Elsie's book.

Now on to the interview:

How long have you known that you were a writer? Did you receive a clear “call?” Or have you just loved writing all your life?

Writing has had a "pull" for me and has brought fulfillment most of my life. I had a few articles published years ago, which whetted my appetite, but I wasn't able to write more seriously until much later. I didn't receive a clear call, but a deep knowing that I was to write.


What is the genre you write in? Would you explain what it is?

Mainly, my writing is inspirational and is written as encouragement to the reader. I've written other kinds of articles and personal experience stories also.


How do you spend your writing days? Do you set goals to reach a certain number of words per day?

It would be nice to be able to say my writing hours are a certain time and I could set goals like you mentioned, but that's not the way my life is and I've had to accept that. Right now I'm doing mostly writing activities, such as editing what I've already written, interviews, etc. Since I've always had to include writing and writing activities with other responsibilities, I've had to deal with resentment because of not being able to spend more time writing, but I've also sensed God's timing in all of it. I know God's way and timing are best.


You recently had a book published. Would you take this time to describe it to us? How and where can readers buy your books?

Encouragement in the Wilderness—Devotionals for Days of Discouragement, Depression, and Despair was first published in print form a number of years ago. When the initial contract expired, I didn't renew it because of my disappointment with the publisher. Recently, Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas published it as an eBook.

As the title indicates, the book is written as encouragement for those going through difficult times. In these devotionals, I share truths and spiritual help that God gave me in my own times of wilderness wanderings. These devotionals are short, simple, and to the point, and they can be helpful to persons in many kinds of situations. They also contain many scriptures and references that will draw the reader to God's Word, the best source of help for low times.

The eBook can be bought at Amazon online.


What is the spiritual message in your book? What can readers expect to get from reading it?

The spiritual message is that God loves and accepts wilderness travelers right where they are in their journey. Readers receive assurance of that and they also find help and encouragement to aid them in their exit from the wilderness.


Do you ever feel like giving up? Most people don’t understand the stress, the work, and the joy of being a writer. How tenuous becoming a writer is. Do you care to share how it feels, what discouraging/encouraging times you’ve gone through?

Yes, there have been times when I've felt like giving up. And at times, I've doubted that my writing was God's idea. I don't want to write because it's just my own desire. When I'm tempted with doubts, I ask God to verify if writing is His desire for me, and He has always been faithful to reassure me that it is.

Writing often feels lonely to me. For various reasons, I don't have the freedom to share much about my writing with people in my everyday relationships. It's always good to connect with other writers.


Who has inspired you the most?

My main inspiration comes from God, Himself, as I sit before Him in my quiet times. My agent, Diana, is always an inspiration. And the input of speakers and workshop leaders at writers' conferences has been invaluable. One challenge by a workshop leader has come back to me many times: "If you knew God had in mind for your book to minster to only one person, would you still write it?"

Would you explain how you “chose” (or were chosen by) a publisher? Do you just go “inny, minny, miny, moe?” Now, that you’re published, can you sit back and relax from the success you’ve experienced?

Through a series of "God-events," I attended a writers' conference where the publisher was represented and they later chose to publish the book in the original print form. More recently, Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas published the book as an eBook.

As for "sitting back and relaxing," I haven't experienced that! I think that having a book published is only a small piece of success; the real success is determined by how well the book sells. For me, marketing is rather difficult, since I'm not real computer savvy and it takes me awhile to figure out how to do some things.


Do you mind telling us some of your hobbies, interests? Where would you like to travel if you could?

My interests include writing (of course), regularly supporting several elderly friends and relatives, reading, church duties, keeping up with our four children, and relating to our 12 grandchildren. In the summer, we enjoy camping with family and friends. I keep a journal for each of our grandchildren. I consider their journals my legacy of love to them. (For more info about grandchild journaling, contact me at ebrunk@rica.net.)

I have always thought it would be fun to visit Hawaii, but most of our travels are to visit children and grandchildren in four states, including distant Oregon.

Would you give us your blog or webpage so everyone can check it out? Anything else you’d like to share? Promotional information?

I don't have a blog or webpage at this time, but there is a book page on Facebook for Encouragement in the Wilderness. I try to post a blurb from the book every day on that site. The URL for buying the eBook at Amazon online can be found on the Facebook page.

Thank you, Carole, for your time and effort in doing this interview for me. It is most gracious of you.


And thank you, Elsie, for joining me this week!
Readers, don't forget to respond with your comments and an email address! One person who comments on today's blog will be randomly chosen and gifted by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas with a digital copy of Elsie's book.

Blessings to all. 

 

4 comments:

darbyscloset said...

Gosh a hard time.....yes! Employment hurdles and insurance hurdles are really making me see what I am made of ..... I thankfully have Faith and know that everything happens for a reason, yet still times could be a little easier!
Thanks
Darby
darbyscloset at yahoo dot com

Arlene said...

I would love to be the lucky one to get this book. She seemes to be a great writer. I also like her comment about the Lord. The book seemes to be good and her interview was great.

Mozi Esme said...

I could use some encouragement - we all have down days...

janemaritz at yahoo dot com

Holly Magnuson said...

Thanks for sharing the interview. And the opportunity to win this book.
hollymag(at)gmail(dot)com

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...