Friday, January 18, 2019

Rambling Friday: The Personal Pros and Cons of...Snow!

Snow. Snow. Snow. Snow. 


The Cons:
Winter is COLD. Usually. That means SNOW is cold.
Duh.
Temperatures fall. 
Noses freeze.
Pipes freeze (sometimes)


Along with the snow comes sleet, ice and wind.
Danger comes in driving.
Slippery roads means wrecks and worse.

Slippery land, sidewalks, etc.
means falls, broken bones, bruises.

Bundle-some clothing.
Boots, and hats, gloves and coats.
Sometimes you put on too much.
Sometimes not enough.
Sigh.


BUT...

The Pros:
Fun times like outdoor activites:
Ice skating
snowball fights and building the forts of protection
snowman creating
skiing
snowmobiling
quiet walks

Then there's...
hot cocoa warming chilled hands
tasty soups warming your insides
toasty marshmallows
Smores

And...
playing indoor games:
Clue, Sorry, Battleship, Monopoly
and children's games

Puzzles, Word searches, Sudoku, Crosswords
Sewing Projects, Neglected Projects
Knitting, Crocheting, Scrapbooking
and on and on...

There's the warm, snuggly feeling of 
warm blankets,
cozy sweaters
and cute slipper socks.


Fun, furry hats
Sleek classic gloves and fingerless gloves.

Fancy, dress-up boots
Dutiful, work-able boots
Scarves! 'nouf said.

Can we describe watching the fluffy flakes falling?
Touching our noses,
Whitening our hair,
sending us to a dream world?

Can we forget watching the graceful skaters?
Or the children's laughing faces while sledding?
Horse-drawn carriage rides?
Children tasting homemade ice cream?
Puppies experiencing snow for the first time?
Or even the couples who are wrapped in their own 
romantic worlds while strolling?

Is all this romantic nonsense?
Maybe.
But it's my opinion...
and I'm sticking with it! 















2 comments:

Sherry Carter said...

Carole, you almost make me want to move to someplace where it snows. Almost, but not quite. When I visit my daughters in Washington DC or in Pittsburgh I get a few days of the beauty of snow and that's enough!
I've allowed the struggle with my illness draw me into isolation again and I'm trying to bring myself back out into the land of the living. Small steps, like commenting on a sweet friends blog.

Caroline said...

Ah, Sherry, I miss hearing from you! Prayers that you will soon feel stronger. Love you bunches. And I sure enjoy reading your blog...

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...