Friday, July 31, 2020

Rambling Friday: Crying a River

This is a sad post because I lost yet another much-loved pet. Let me tell you the story of Taffy, how
she came to us and how she became a heroine in my Denton and Alex Davies series.

Years ago, hubby and I were gone (probably in some ministry work). When we got back home, our oldest son, Dan, said a dog had appeared on our property. At the time we had Shyanne, our horse, and she'd gone through a loss of her own, with the death of her companion, Red, the second horse, and she was mourning the death.

But back to Taffy...when Dan had arrived home one day, he saw this tiny dog sitting close to Shyanne. From that day on, Shyanne recovered. Our son went to several houses close by asking if anyone had lost a dog. No positive answers came, so we adopted Taffy.

From the first, Taffy was a gentle dog, obedient even when she didn't want to be. When Jonathan--our youngest grandboy--was little I would babysit him quite a bit. When he was here, he'd want Taffy to sit with him, and sometimes Taffy didn't want to do that.

I'd say, Taffy, stay. And she'd stay. When son Dan awhile back adopted a large dog (mixed breed: Blue Tick and Mastiff) he grew up fast and was at least four times the size of Taffy. As a pup, he was active and wanted to play rough. Taffy let him know right away she was the boss, and he accepted her suggestion! Lol

When I began writing my Denton and Alex Davies cozy mystery series, I wanted a dog, and what better dog than Taffy? In the first book, she's the one who led Denton and Alex to the body. And in the picture above, she's helping me promote my series! What a dog!

Anyhow, my heart still hurts at losing her. I'm always sad when our pets die, and this year we've lost three. I know they were old. I know that it's life, but that doesn't make it easier to lose our beloved pets who loved us in return no matter what.

Farewell, Taffy girl, I know you're romping in animal heaven with Lily and Tipper, and probably meeting all the other pets we've loved and lost through the years.


1 comment:

Robin in NC said...

Oh Caroline! I'm so very sorry for your losses. Our pets become a part of our family, then take a piece of our heart with them when they cross over that rainbow bridge. Sending virtual hugs. ♥♥♥

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...