Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Serious Wednesday: When You're Writing is Put on Hold

Okay, I get it. I've been through it, experienced it, been there, done that. 


Last year was one of those periods in my life. I couldn't write. Life interrupted, and no matter how much I yearned to spend time writing, my thoughts, my inspiration, was gone. I couldn't write. It was several months into the year before I faced the realization that I needed a break. And as 2019 drew to a close, I could see a light...

Inspiration rumbled. Determination built. Dogged grit pushed at me. This year--2020--was the year I would take back my writing. And I did, with tentative goals of finishing three novels. The third one is yet tto be finished, but I'm close and with setting the right goals, I just might burst through that taped goal. 

What do you do when you CAN'T write, for whatever reason?

  • Don't fight it as much as you want to or feel you have to.
  • Accept that you need this break.
  • Allow your body and mind to relax with that acceptance.
  • Face what it is that's hindering your writing. If you can pinpoint the problem. 
  • Adjust your schedule to take care of what's hindering you. Whether it's health, exhaustion, family or financial problems, or whatever...begin to work at those things. Take your time, if you can, one day at a time, in eliminating that burden. It might take days or weeks, months or even (shudder) years. But if you're to write, the hindrances preventing you from writing will always be a specter peeking over your shoulder. 

I'm not saying it will be easy, that you won't have to work at setting aside your writing for a period. But sometimes--not always--it's needful. Your body will bounce back, inspiration will light up your brain again, and hopefully, you'll be on the path of renewal. 

Never quit!

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...