Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Friendship Footprints



Footprints in the sand of a beach.


I remember as a child a young girl who I sat with in church at times. She came with her grandparents and was very spoiled. This child always had candy to eat and was encouraged by her grandmother "to share" with me. Her answer? "You don't want any, do you?"

Of course, I did. I was a child myself.


Was she a friend? Nope. At least, if she was she a very shallow one. Selfish and self-centered. I have no idea where she is today or what she became. There was little, if any, friendship to endure the expanse of time.


I know another person I seldom see. When we run across each other, it seems we both enjoy the encounter. We spend the five, ten, maybe even the fifteen or thirty, minutes updating each other and catching up a sporatic amount of news.


A friend? Perhaps. We were at one time. And it could be that if circumstances would deem it so, we could be good friends again in the future.

Now take another person I know. She sends cards now and then and her church has been known to give "special" gifts to hubby and me. But that's not what all is important to me, nor what I cherish. Here are some of her friendship traits:

She's a good listener.
She encourages.
She's loyal.
She's faithful, and tactful, when she doesn't agree with me.
She wants to read my nonsense--and my writing.

That's just for starters.

They've stamped on your heart and left their friendship. You know you can't scare them away when you're despondent or mouthy or grouchy or hyper. They see beneath the surface hurt and read what's really going on.

A good friend? Seen you in the bad times and still with you in the good times.
Now that, my friends, is a real friend!




Feel lonely? Feel like you don't have a friend in the world? Then check out these hints and see if you're following them:
  1. Be dependable: do what you say you'll do!
  2. Go out of your way to be friendly and to help others.
  3. Don't talk about others behind their backs.
  4. Don't laugh at the mistakes of others and don't correct them.
  5. Do your share; don't be lazy!
  6. Don't always try to have your own way.
  7. Treat others like you'd like you'd like to be treated
Results: Friends!

Quote:
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never, ever the same.


Blessings

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...