Friday, April 11, 2008

Where Do the Ideas Come From?

Oh, goodness, everywhere!
I mean, look all around you; stories are everywhere.

Here's some of my favorites:

One of mine almost completed is a 1900's historical, during WWII, set in a large town. I took the plot from a true story, but fictionalized it to fit two characters that I created. A minister is involved in the war at home in a very special way. A daughter of a shipping business magistrate, has the care of two sisters and the running of a boarding house.

Another novel came from a paper I wrote during my computer training. I fell in love through research on hoboes of the late 1800's and early 1900's. I haven't gotten very far with this one, but hope to someday. It involves a rich lawyer who loses his family, turns bitter, and leaves his wealth behind to become a hobo. He eventually will find his way back, but not before . . . oh, well, I won't give away any more!!!

Another came from trying to write a "western." Eventually that one turned into lots of research and a suspense and a series.

One, that's on a back burner for when the time is right, is a complicated one that was given to me as an idea from one of my mentees' hubby. He knows I love suspense and came up with a brilliant plot. Don't want to give anything away on this one; it's too, too good. Suffice it to say, I've already begun plotting on this!

Some of my children's stories came from my pets.
Some came from prayer.
A few come from a love of a certain country, or a combination of other things.
Another one came from wanting to incorporate a niece's name and the love of a country into a novel.

Ideas can come from newspapers, ancestry, history, current events, people, places, facts, or strange twists. There are books that come because some wanted to write sequels. Some wanted to prove a point. Or even some who want to promote lies through fiction.


All it takes is a little bit of imagination.
And a whole lot of work after that.



Quote:
A great man is always willing to be little. --Ralph Waldo Emerson


Blessings!

1 comment:

Belinda2 said...

How have you been? We tried to reach you by phone Saturday night. Just wondering about this weekend. :)

It looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you, but some of the hard work is done. Coming up with ideas is a good share of the job, right?

http://jenn-jennalexander.blogspot.com/

Jen's blog

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...