Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Why Did I Title the Last Blog . . .?

Actually, I was going to talk about dry spells in writing, but once I got started . . .

1. I got sidetracked on other portions of writing, and
2. It's much too big of a topic

So, today I'll explain a little more about getting ideas to write about.

The last post talked about some of my novels that are character driven. Today, I'd like to mention some that are plot driven. Here's one example:

My suspense series. Of course, without the characters, there wouldn't be a book. Without the setting, the story wouldn't be as rich. BUT, and that's a big but, without the plot, there wouldn't a story to tell in this suspense series.

It's plot driven, oh, probably about 60-75%. The characters probably average about 40%, and the setting about 5-10%. Now, I know that doesn't all add up to 100%. But all these are variant parts that can go one way or the other.

In the suspense you've got fast action that pushes forth your story from chapter to chapter. That doesn't mean you can't take a breather now and then, but even in the breather's, you're building the reader up to the next event.

In a plot driven story, you begin with a basic idea of what going to happen and write from there. Because such and such must happen, the characters act accordingly. Because you have to begin with such and such happening and go on till something else is accomplished, everything else must fall in line.

That's a very general description but maybe it'll give you an idea.

So, to recap what I've mentioned. Two ways to get ideas:
  1. Characters
  2. Plots
Later, I'll talk about some other special things about writing.

Have a good day!



Quote:
It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded. --Anne Morrow Lindbergh


Blessings!

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...