Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sunday Morning Peace

Always--Fall has been my favorite season, and I still love it. But now, for some reason, Spring has easing it's way into my heart. I anticipate it. I delight in it. I long for warmer weather. I look forward to shaping my gardens into beauty again. Ah, spring, you are a delightful creature, created by our creator, who has stolen my heart! 


The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."
-  Mathilde Blind, April Rain    

Keep your faith in all beautiful things; in the sun when it is hidden, in the Spring when it is gone.
-  Roy R. Gilson

Tossing his mane of snows in wildest eddies and tangles, 
Lion-like March cometh in, hoarse, with tempestuous breath, 
Through all the moaning chimneys, and 'thwart all the hollows and angles 
Round the shuddering house, threating of winter and death. 

But in my heart I feel the life of the wood and the meadow 
Thrilling the pulses that own kindred with fibers that lift 
Bud and blade to the sunward, within the inscrutable shadow, 
Deep in the oak's chill core, under the gathering drift. 


Nay, to earth's life in mine some prescience, or dream, or desire 
(How shall I name it aright?) comes for a moment and goes-- 
Rapture of life ineffable, perfect--as if in the brier, 
Leafless there by my door, trembled a sense of the rose.
-  William Dean Howell, Earliest Spring 

When the time is ripe for certain things,
these things appear in different places in the manner
of violets coming to light in the early spring.
-  Farkas Bolyai 

April's rare capricious loveliness.
-  Julia Dorr

You start in April and cross to the time of May
One has you as it leaves, one as it comes
Since the edges of these months are yours and defer
To you, either of them suits your praises.
The Circus continues and the theatre's lauded palm,
Let this song, too, join the Circus spectacle.
-  Ovid, Fasti (V.185-190, CE)

Let the rain kiss you.
Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops.
Let the rain sing you a lullaby.
The rain makes still pools on the sidewalk.
The rain makes running pools in the gutter.
The rain plays a little sellp-song on our roof at night--
And I love the rain.
-  Langston Hughes, 1902-1967, April Rain Song

Sweet April showers
Do spring May flowers.
-  Thomas Tusser, A Hundred Good Points of Husbandry, 1557  

Warm Spring Blessings!

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...