"I have an idea. Can you use it in a book?"
"Anyone can write a book."
What does it take to write a book? (Now remember, I'm basing this on my own experience. Other authors may have different takes on the subject):
- A knowledge that this is something you are supposed to do. From a child up, I've loved reading and writing. Research (a most valuable tool for writers) is a pleasant "job" for me. After several years of the writing experience, I can sense that it's what I am to do.
- Perseverance. Writing a book is a tough job. You have days with no enthusiasm, with weariness or focusing on the page in front of you. There are times when your mind is blank, when it all seems rubbish. But a "real" writer knows you have to persevere to overcome all. Write, even if it has to be deleted tomorrow. Write when it seems it's all wrong. JUST WRITE!!
- For me, knowing this is what God wants from me. I've learned to worry less about how much money I'm making or whether I should be promoting or advertising more, and try to lean on what I feel God would have me do today, tomorrow and next week. Trusting that my writing labors will prove encouraging and entertaining to someone is worth it all.
- The willingness to do what it takes to produce the best writing I can. That means improving and learning from others, research, study, conferences when possible, and classes as able. All of this helps me grow in my work.
- Determination to never, never, never quit. Some find it easy to give up when the pressure is on, when the book doesn't get published, when life interferes, when people criticise your work. There will always be naysayers and critics. You can't let anyone discourage you if you're totally convinced this is what you're to do.
- Realize that you must find and travel on YOUR writing journey. Mine is not someone
Be blest as you seek the path you should walk. Remember, never, never, never quit!
- YOU MUST ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS OF THE MONTH to be considered for the monthly prize. And...
- You MUST check back here on the last Wednesday of the month to see if you've won. I will usually share the blog link on my Facebook author page but it's YOUR obligation to contact me here on the blog with your mailing information (or you can let me know you'll share it with email or private message on FB.
What is your favorite SPRING flower and does it have a significant meaning to you?
April's second Question: