Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Chicken Little


Do any of you remember the story?

A day-old chick


The chicken walked along minding his own business when something cracked him on the head. He declared that the world was coming to an end and told everyone who'd listen.

Of course, it didn't end. Of course, he jumped to conclusions. Of course, he was wrong.

What am I saying?

How easy is it to behave according to emotions, and in specific--fear?


How easy is it to label someone unfriendly because they don't come up to us and talk? Because they haven't smiled?


Excuse me, but maybe they're having a bad day. Could be they're really bashful. And what keeps us from making the first move? Fear? A thinking-of-self attitude?



How easy is it to criticize the government when we don't do our part?

How many letters do we write to our senators? How much do we pray? How lazy our we with our neighborhood politics? Do we even vote?



What do we do when we see friends and family doing wrong?

Granted, sticking our noses in other people's business isn't always the wisest action. But who said we can't show concern? Who said we can't protest against bigotry and lies and biases? Who said we can't stand for what we know is right?



How easy is it to pass the buck?

This is something I see go on from churches to businesses to families to the government. Everyone wants to point fingers, rather than stand up and admit they've made a mistake. Easy to do? Nope. But what a man/woman it makes! What character it develops!


Chicken Little? Caught up in his own little world, making his own absurd predictions, influencing others with his out-of-line observations. Going on in his own foolish path.


Yikes. At least let me find my own path and walk it in sincerity and integrity. With open eyes.



Picnic-ing Hints:
  • An easy way to organize your picnic table: Use a muffin tin to hold your condiments--catsup, mustard, relish, chopped onions.
  • Things to NOT forget: sunscreen, blanket, insect repellant, band-aids, wet wipes.
  • Other fun things to take: a single use camera, bottles of bubble mix, shovels and pails, colored pencils and sketch pads, baseball or beach ball, jump rope, books (YEAH!).
  • Games to play: croquet, badminton, 3-legged races, hide and seek, scavenger hunts
Have tons of fun!


Quote:
Though I have seen the oceans and mountains, though I have read great books and seen great works of art, though I have heard symphonies and tasted the best . . . foods, there is nothing greater or more beautiful than those people I love. --Christopher de Vinck


Blessings

2 comments:

riddle said...

I really believe that you made some great points and I hope that I will bring my 3 daughters up to not judge someone like people do heck my best friend gets embarassed when we go to the store because I will have and do strike up conversations with complete strangers that being said I enjoyed reading this and it gave me a few ideas thanks

Caroline said...

It's so easy to set ourselves up as judge and jury, when we've got all we can handle just living the way we should. Thks for writing! Always a blessing to hear from others!

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...