Thursday, August 30, 2007

And Today We Have With Us . . .


Hickory, the pet mouse from "Catch Me If You Can." He's agreed to be interviewed and has some interesting observations.

Caroline: Thanks for sharing with us today, Hickory.

House mouse, Mus musculus
Hickory: No problem. Glad I can enlighten a few minds about the world of mice.

Caroline: What do you mean?

Hickory (a minute cough behind paws): For instance, people think of us as nuisances. That's not entirely true.

Caroline: Really? I've always thought of them as . . . well, pests.

Hickory: That's because you're uneducated on that subject.

Caroline: You're being a little blunt here. Tell us something about mice that will change our minds.

Hickory: Ahem. Mice are smart. No, don't laugh. We really are. We enjoy good music. That's why many times we hang around pianos. Love those keys! And not to brag, but we're clean, interesting and fun to have around. At the least, you'll get some attention from others if you're really devoted to us!

Caroline: Really?

Hickory: Did you know I could have been groomed for exhibition, but decided living the life as a partner to a detective would be more exciting.

Caroline: Wow. That sounds fascinating.

Hickory: And my curiosity makes me an excellent choice as a pet for a detective. I do have pretty keen senses. We can sense things humans can't.

Caroline: Okay. You've sort of got me convinced. Now tell me what your role is in CMIYC.

Hickory: I'm a pet.

Caroline
(scowling): Funny.

Hickory (laughing): Just kidding. Tara's brother gave me to her as a joke, but she ended up loving me. I go with her everywhere because I'm small, content to be quiet when I have to be, and smart enough to give her a few hints in her career.

Caroline: What is her career?

Hickory: She's a teacher turned detective.

Caroline
(with eyebrow lifted): Why did she choose that career?

Hickory: Because of her older brother's murder. Tara's been struggling a lot with bitterness over it. But she did feel like God was leading her to begin this new career.

Caroline: I heard that you were kidnapped in CMIYC. Are those rumors true?

Hickory (nodding): Yes, they are. The villain stole me in my cage because he thought it would send Tara straight to his arms.

Caroline (shivering): And did it?

Hickory (with far-away look in eyes): Yes, it did. And that's all I'm going to tell you about CMIYC. If you're interested in reading more about me, er-r-r, I mean about this story, you'll have to get the book!

Caroline: Thanks, Hickory, for telling us a little bit about yourself and this super-sounding mystery. Hope you can return some day.

Hickory (shrug): Perhaps. If I don't get too famous or too busy.


Folks, you never know what kind of characters will pop up. Let's hope Hickory doesn't get so famous he forgets about us common folk!




For those of you who've suddenly developed a desire for a mouse-pet, remember:
  • They must have attention, or you'd be better off with two.
  • Tin cans, paper cups and ropes in a cage are great entertainment activities.
  • Give them something to chew on.
  • They like treats such as sunflower seeds.
  • Curious ones are the most healthy.
Enjoy!




(Hickory came across this quote after a nap one day on top of a book. He wanted me to use it! Smile):
You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things . . .You can just be an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to reach challenging goals. --Sir Edmund Hilliary


Have a fun evening and many blessings!

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...