Thursday, September 13, 2007

Flash Fiction . . . Yeah, Right!


You heard of it? It's an abbreviated version of a story. Maybe, oh, say . . 100, 150 words. Someone on a writing loop recently mentioned it. I even read a story and the writer did a fantastic job of getting her point across.

But, me? Nope. Afraid not. I'm "too wordy" . . . sometimes. Too "in love with my words." That's the advice I get back by "those in the know." In other words, other writers who've decided they can "critique."

What kind of critique is that? I mean, I'm a writer. I broadcast to each and every person who'll listen a second. There's nothing I like to talk more about than writing! Wordy? Someone needs to make sure their head's screwed on right.

Aren't writer's suppose to write? Aren't they suppose to love words? Aren't they suppose to get their points across?

Here are some rules I've had to learn since picking up the pen (computer) again:
  • POV - don't jump from one person's view to another (unless, of course, you change scenes.) I want to tell you, almost every secular writer I've read after does this. Few don't!
  • Adverbs and (sometimes) adjectives are bad words. No! (slap of the hand) No!
  • By all means, never use the words "seem" "was" or "felt." If you do, you'd better just make sure you don't have two in one chapter.
  • There should never be more than three, preferably two, sentences that begin with the protagonist's name on one page. Same for the word "she/he."
  • You must learn to use variety in your sentence structure. Independent, dependent, simple, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Enough said?
  • "I can't believe you used a word that ends with "ing." You are an outcast! Archaic! Unlearned!
  • Cut out all unnecessary things that don't move the plot along? If that's the case, why ask for subplots and more subplots? Huh?
. . . and tons more a hard working writer's gotta learn.

My biggest problems now? Probably the plotting and disaster areas. Mysteries? Not too much problem. Romance? Now that's a different story . . . Flash fiction? Someday, maybe.

Now that I've done my whining for the day--back to writing and learning to pare those words!
Another day, another mile . . . er . . . chapter.


Want to have your home smelling scrumptious? Try these hints:
  • Scented Potpourri: sprinkle in baskets, terracotta pots or teacups! Spread thru home, in view or hidden. Your choice!
  • Air fresheners! Unashamedly they are a great way to spread that beloved smell.
  • Scented candles: perfection.
  • Homemade goodies: simmering spiced tea, warm apple cider, freshly baked gingerbread cookies, or apple pie fresh from the oven. What better way?


Quote:
A man of courage is not ashamed to admit his faults, failures and sins.



Blessings!

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...