Once upon a time there was a girl who had four boyfriends.
- She loved the fourth boyfriend the most and adorned him with rich robes and treated him to the finest of delicacies. She gave him nothing but the best.
- She also loved the third boyfriend very much and was always showing him off to the neighboring kingdoms. However, she feared that one day he would leave her for another.
- She loved her second boyfriend, too. He was her confidant and was always kind, considerate, and patient with her. Whenever this girl faced a problem, she could confide in him, and he would help her get through the difficult times.
- The girl's first boyfriend was a very loyal person and had made great contributions in maintaining her wealth and kingdom. However, she did not love the first boyfriend although he loved her deeply. She hardly took any notice of him.
One day the girl fell ill and knew her time was short. She thought about her luxurious life and wondered about her boyfriends and would she be alone when she died.
She asked her fourth boyfriend, "I loved you the most, endowed you with the finest clothing and showered great care over you. Now that I'm dying will you follow me and keep me company?"
"No way," replied the fourth boyfriend and walked away. His answer cut like a sharp knife.
The girl asked the third boyfriend the same question, and he replied, "Life is too good. When you die, I'm going to marry someone else." Her heart sank.
The seond boyfriend said, "I'm sorry, I can't be there this time. I can't help you. At the most, I can only walk with you to your grave." The girl was devastated.
Then a voice called out, "I'll go with you. I'll follow you no matter where you go."
The girl looked up, and there was her first boyfriend. He was skinny from malnutrition and neglect.
Grieved, the girl said, "I should have taken better care of you when I had the chance!"
You have four boyfriends in your life:
- Your fourth boyfriend is your body. No matter how much time and effort you lavish in making it look good, it will leave you when you die.
- Your third boyfriend is your possessions, status, and wealth. When you die, it will all go to others.
- Your second boyfriend is your family and friends. No matter how much they have been there for you, the furthest they can go, is to the grave.
- And your first boyfriend is your soul, often neglected in pursuit for wealth, power, and pleasures of this world.
Your soul in the only thing that will follow you. Cultivate, strengthen, and cherish it now, for it will follow you to the throne of God.
In essence, it is the REAL you.
Enjoy yourself! These are no "good ole days" you're going to miss in the years ahead. --anonymous