Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Review of Confessions of a PK

by Betsy St. Amant

Back Cover:
Addison Blakely has never had much trouble pleasing her widowed, overprotective father. After all, he's a pastor and she knows her reputation is closely linked to his. But whent he bad boy next door, the cute but arrogant quarterback, and a charming new guy all vie for Addison's attention, she begins to doubt her resolve. To make matters worse, Addison's best friend suddenly seems to hate her, a talent show has the entire school at odds, and an exotic foreign exchange student from Germany is shaking everyone up.

Join Addison as she attempts to separate love from lust, facts from faith, and keep her head above water in her murky fishbowl existence.

My Take:
I'll have to admit, I was a little reluctant to take on this book, but I do like to "help out" the ACFW Book club, and that means reading some genres that I usually don't read. Smile.

Betsy hit the nail on the head with this one. A truly great story that absorbed my interest (which is hard to do!) and kept my sympathy with the protagonist. Well developed issues that today's teens face pushed the plot forward. Loved the protagonist's personality; her good looks (and her worry about gaining a few extra pounds because of her love for mochas, gummy bears, and ice cream) yet her unpopularity because of her faithfulness in being the "good" girl. Her temptation with "bad" guy Wes was oh, so real and the conflict she faced was true to life.

Betsy's setting was perfect. Small town, coffee shop, high school, home, and even the street with the kids walking home was life like and easy to see. Took me back a few years, but some things never change, do they?

I'd call this book a keeper, except as soon as we discuss it next month, I want to share it with a teenager in my life.

Thanks, Betsy, for writing this book, and hope you have a lot more coming that are just as wonderful!

Blessings!

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...