Sunday, March 01, 2020

Sunday Morning Sunshine: I Like Animals

CAT

My cat,
Is quiet.
She moves without a sound.
Sometimes she stretches herself curving
On tiptoe.

Sometimes she crouches low
and creeping.
Sometimes she rubs herself against a chair,
And there
With a miew and a miew
And a purrrr...purrrr...purrrr...
She curls up
And goes to sleep.

My cat
Lives through a black hole
Under the house.
So one day I
Crawled in after her.
And it was dark
And I sat
And didn't know 
Where to go.
And then--
Two yellow-white
Round little lights
Came moving...moving...toward me.
And there
With a miew and a miew
And a purrrr...purrrr....purrrr
My cat
Rubbed, soft against me.
And I knew
The lights
Were MY CAT'S EYES
In the dark.

--Dorothy Baruch
1933

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...