Friday, December 15, 2006

Recipe for Happiness
image

Take two heaping cups of patience
One heartful of love
Two handfuls of generosity
Dash of laughter
One headful of understanding
Sprinkle generously with kindness
Add plenty of FAITH and mix well
Spread over a period of a lifetime
Serve to everyone you meet.


Is happiness having? Is it getting what we want? Will I be happier when I get a book published? When I get a new desktop computer (that I need desperately)? Is it getting a digital camera instead of pretending I like having the throw-aways?

My hubby--bless his generous heart gives me many things I desire. He strives to please me and my wants. But one thing he says that makes me think (at least when I'm not in the wanting stage! Grin) is, "There are many people who'd like to have what we have."

One of my brothers (and I won't say which one, because they might be reading this about now) used to say--when urged to eat something he didn't want, that children in China would love to have what he had--"send it to them."

That was his childish response to having to do--eat--what he didn't want to do.

But how many adults do the same thing? How many times do we sigh, wish, and complain about what we don't have, what we wish we had, about not enough money. . . more, more, more. Why can't we be satisfied with what we have?

Going back to me--true, I do enjoy writing, I savor the positive feedback on my writing projects. Then why do I want more, as if I can't be satisfied with the gift that God has given me? Hubby says there's more than one way to reach my goal, meaning keep working at it, but plan alternative actions if necessary, to see my work in print.

Am I really wanting to reach others with my work? To encourage others to reach out to God? Am I wanting that writing ache inside of me eased with seeing the fruition of my hard work? Can I truly say I want God's glory for what I'm doing? I hope so. I pray for that. I think I strive for that.


Some reminders and things to note:
DON'T you all forget about the influencing contest! You'll win some nice chocolates (okay, if you're one of those strange creatures who doesn't like chocolates, let me know and I'll send you something else!) and get to encourage five other people to become one of my readers. Hey, that's not too hard on the old brain, now is it?

And sorry, about the double (did it show up double for you guys?) of yesterday's posting about the interview. I had trouble getting the format to go right and finally gave up on it. When I checked this morning there were two of the same. The second one was formatted half-way right!

Thanks to all you great readers!


Double Quotes today to ponder over:
May no gift be too small to give, nor too simple to receive, which is wrapped in thoughtfulness and tied with love. -- L. O. Baird


Better than being the head of the family is being the heart of it - George Bergman

Blessings

2 comments:

sharen said...

This was great!! I really liked this one.

Caroline said...

Thank you, Sharen. Are you going to try to win some chocolates? Might as well give it a go! Laugh. Merry Christmas to all of you!

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...