Tuesday, December 12, 2006

What are you dreaming of?

There's a silly little Christmas (nothing spiritual about it!) song where the girl lists all the expensive things she wants for Christmas. Hubby and I were chuckling about her greediness the other day, but really, there's nothing funny about it.

People are so-o-o greedy nowadays. (Did our forefathers think that, too?) I mean, from wrecks to being offended by something, people all over are suing for all they can get. Teenagers want, want, want. Grownups have to keep up with neighbors. Where in all the hustle is the simplicity of life in general and Christmas in specific? Why can't we be satisfied with what we have?

But enough of my spouting off. What I really want to know--what are you dreaming of this season?

In my teen class Sunday, I challenged them--all the Sundays in December we would write down on a small scrap of paper what we really wanted to accomplish in 2007, or what we'd like to change about ourselves. Then we placed them in this clear plastic star--a small one. I told them that three or four times next year we'd get it out and read our papers, see how close we're coming to seeing them fulfilled. Hopefully, some, if not all, of us, we'll see some success!

I'll share with you, my dear readers, one of my dreams: to see one (or more--see I am greedy, too. [Hanging head!]) or my books published. Will I succeed? I don't know, but I'm sure going to do all I can to accomplish it. One way or the other! Giggle!

Now, why don't you write down something you'd really like to accomplish for 2007 and put it in a safe place. Strive for that goal. You never know, we just might reach them.

One of my favorite sayings is: reach for the stars, you might hit the moon, but at least you've gone higher than what you are now! Pretty good.



Here's a story I came across that touched my heart. Since hubby and I have spent time working with the Navajo's and they are precious to us, I really liked it and wanted to share with you. They are a generous people, although needy. I love them dearly and have many fond memories of times with them. Enjoy!

A Navajo Celebration
After prayer meeting on Christmas Eve a Navajo woman motioned me aside. Because I was geared to giving rather than receiving I was surprised when she invited me to spend Christmas Day at her mother's home. This turned out to be one of the most meaningful Christmases I've ever spent anywhere.

Sitting on the dirt floor we ate a dinner of mutton stew, Navajo fried bread, raw hot green peppers, and coffee. A gunny sack served as a tablecloth. There weren't enough bowls and spoons to go around but no one seemed to mind waiting until another had eaten and the bowl was washed. Leftover food and the gunny sack were put away carefully at the end of the meal.
Edith Mae Merky Bloomfield, N.M.


Here's some hints for the ladies of a century or so back. I thought it was fun reading and you might enjoy it. Smile!

A Victorian Christmas

image Tasteful Giving - The Ladies World, Dec. 1892

It takes common sense and independence to accept a costly present from a rich friend, without making any return.

If you have money to spend on presents, do not waste on people richer than yourself, but on those poorer.

Above all, in sending presents do not send articles that cost money and are vulgar and tawdry. A piece of music, a note written on Christmas Day, wishing many happy returns, or a few flowers entail no obligation, require no work, and do their own work of love as well as costly gifts, and show a delicacy of breeding.





Quote:
The things that matter the most in this world, they can never be held in our hands. --Gloria Gaither

Blessings.

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...