Thursday, April 19, 2007

It's a Wonderful Life.

Really.

I know you've listened to me moan and complain lots of times. But just let me tell you about the last few days. I should explain here, that perhaps YOU won't think what I list is fabulous, but let me be. Don't wake me up. Grin. I love certain things (dates with hubby, traveling, writing, walking, gardening, music, friends--sometimes--animals, peace, quiet, reading, my pond, my fireplace, VA, N.M., etc. etc., and enjoy life where I find it (or make it).

Joy, tacuinum sanitatis casanatensis (XIV century)

Joy, (XIV century)
Caroline's note: Happiness!
Me and hubby in the 14th century. LOL


Last Friday: First of all, there was a rummage sale where I found a piece of equipment for hubby. Love doing that for him.

That night, Hubby and I went out for a special evening together. Ah, now that is special. You see, we eat out lots of times and I enjoy all--or most--of these times. But I also like it when we're not on "assignment" (work) where we only get to stop for an hour or two for relaxation. We had the whole evening to ourselves. What did we do? None of your bus-wax (as the old saying goes.)

Saturday, after helping hubby in the morning, I spent the afternoon writing. Yeah! Time for me. That's a rare thing in MY life and I value it when I can get it. Besides, it was relaxing to be by myself, grungy, barefoot, and no one around but . . .
Taffy and
Tipper and
Simon and Snuggles and
Twitch and Sandy and
Mackie and Molly and Penny.
Oh, yes, Blackie the cow and Cheyenne the horse.
And whatever wild thing happened to be crossing our land.

Big smiles.

That evening hubby's youngest brother and wife took us out for a meal at BE. Good as always, with a special bonus of extra food, WHICH I did not ask for, and did not eat. Waitress provided it because she thought she'd messed up. I took it home.

Sunday morning we listened to an inspiring message;
Sunday evening
went to Charleston.

Let me tell you about our trip home. Hubby and I got into a silly argument. I won't mention that most of it was my doing. Besides the first part that was solved okay, the second was because I brought up an old girlfriend's name of his. Yikes. Why can't I keep my mouth shut?

Anyhow, I proceeded to "learn" him how to respond when a woman makes a statement that is totally untrue. Like:
Me--
"you should have gotten so-and-so."
Hubby--"Oh, yeah? Maybe."

Well, after a l-e-n-g-t-h-y discussion (with much grinning and teasings) he admitted he wouldn't trade me for her or (get this!) a million dollars. WOW! True or not, I lapped it up. Sweet words.

Monday afternoon met with writing buddies, Jam and Lyn. Since I usually slash their work to pieces (this is a positive thing--back off!), Jam had this mischievous look in her eyes. Ah, ha. Something "evil" planned for my work! Seriously, she had taken the time to write out several areas that needed improvement in my chapters. Precious brainstormer that she is!

Wednesday, went to lunch with a friend and set a date with them and us (is that grammatically correct?).

So, all in all a profitable weekend-stretched-into-the-first-of-the-week last few days.

Definition: Happiness is an emotional or affective state that is characterized by feelings of enjoyment and satisfaction. Aristotle stated that happiness is the only thing that humans desire for its own sake. He observed that men sought riches not for the sake of being rich, but to be happy. Those who sought fame desired it not to be famous, but because they believed fame would bring them happiness. Happiness is often associated with the presence of favorable circumstances such as a supportive family life, a loving marriage, and economic stability.

Does happiness equal peace? Nope. But it's kind of nice to have a touch or two of it now and then. Wouldn't you say?



These aren't exactly hints, but they sure do their part in education! If you know these, you're smarter (wait a minute--that's kind of a drastic statement; I'd better re-think it. Laugh) than me. Read on and learn!
"Things aren't always what they seem " department:
  • The Jerusalem artichoke is not an artichoke, nor does it come from Jerusalem: It's from America and is part of the sunflower family.
  • Sauerkraut is not German, it's Chinese. It was eaten in China at least 200 years before Christ.
  • French fries are not French, they're Belgian.
  • Swiss steak isn't Swiss, Russian dressing isn't Russian, English muffins aren't English, and chop suey is not Chinese; they're all American.
  • Onions, garlic and asparagus are lilies; the sweet potato is a morning glory; and peanuts are beans, not nuts.

Got all that?





Quote:
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas Edison

Caroline: (me chanting: "Don't give up, don't give up, don't give up . . ."). On my writing, of course!

Blessings.

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...