Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Fun of Being a Father

The top things a teenage daughter (and son) doesn't want to hear from her dad.

  1. “Let me explain what 'deductible' means on car insurance.”
  2. “Your mom’s almost ready. Where are we going on our double date?”
  3. “Seems to me your last year’s fancy dress still has some life in it.”
  4. "I signed us up for the 'pairs karaoke contest' this Friday night.”
  5. “We ate possum toes like popcorn when I was a kid.”
  6. “Let's get ice cream, my treat! Just let me grab my jar of coins.”
  7. “I am proud that you decided to keep the family unibrow.”
  8. “You don't need to go shopping after all. I picked out a purse for you on my way home.”
  9. “I ran into Bobby at the grocery store. I told him that you're really hoping he'll ask you for a date.”
  10. “By the way, I had to borrow your deodorant yesterday.”



Here are five benefits of being a grandfather:

  1. A chance to feel young again and a sense that your name, character, and family will extend beyond your lifetime.
  2. The sheer joy of being related to such adorable and talented grandchildren.
  3. Feeling useful through supplying advice, family history, and some financial support.
  4. Taking personal pride in a grandchild’s performance or character.
  5. "Spoiling” the children is a hoot! And it's a pleasure you may have denied themselves as parents.



And for great tips on honoring dad this Sunday, think about these:


  • Once you have a good cache of memories, think of a meaningful way to honor your dad:
  • Write him a letter and read it in front of him and the whole family.
  • Buy a book of blank pages and write one item you’re thankful for on each page: “Thanks, Dad, for teaching me how to throw a curveball.” “Thanks for the evenings playing chess together on the front porch.” Encourage other siblings to contribute.
  • Write a “Dad Quiz” with questions like “What was dad’s first car?” and “How did dad propose to mom?” Give the quiz to the whole family.


Some of my very favorite quotes and saying about dads:

My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, "You're tearing up the grass."
"We're not raising grass," Dad would reply. "We're raising boys."
~Harmon Killebrew


He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. ~Clarence Budington Kelland

It is much easier to become a father than to be one. ~Kent Nerburn, Letters to My Son: Reflections on Becoming a Man, 1994

And one that's always been a special one to me:
Any man can be a father. It takes someone special to be a dad.
~Author Unknown



Blessings.

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...