Thursday, December 27, 2007

Surviving Christmas


This year was upsetting. No, not because of the shopping and frantic searching for more or better gifts. But because we had:

Remodeling. Growl. I love improvements, but I hate it when I have to put up with it when I'd rather decorate. You know the old saying: have your cake and eat it, too?

Hubby insisted on a "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree. That's what he called it. Let me list the reasons I objected strenuously:
  • His brother's cast-off
  • bent branches
  • small and definitely not a wide-eyed wonder to look at
  • NOT a real one
His reasoning:
  • We're remodeliing
  • It was easy to get to, since it was partially decorated already with lights that half burned
  • Decorate it and it wouldn't be half bad
Ergh!

But you know, it wasn't half bad, in fact, by the time I finished with it . . . I hate to say it (modest smile here) . . . it was stunning! I loved it!

I was missing one son. One son was in another state, unable to get home this year for Christmas. I understood and . . . he called me. He told me he loved me. That was good!

I was sick, sort of. For whatever reason, I've been struggling with a simple cold, can't seem to fight it off permanently. I think I've got it whipped, and back it comes just when I start to relax. Since I'm a fairly healthy individual, it's totally annoying!

Sunday night, I could feel it stealing up on me. Monday, I felt like staying in bed all day (which I couldn't do. Sigh. Plus we had a Christmas Eve get together with hubby's family that night). Tuesday wasn't too bad. Had more strength. Wednesday, lousy and drowsy! Today? Not too bad. But I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm going to try to get more rest, sleep, quit worrying, and stop the stressing. Hmmm. We'll see if it works.


And then Christmas day turned out to be quiet and restful and very enjoyable. We had fewer people this year than most years, but laughter and together-erness, and a spirit of joy.

So, all in all, I survived Christmas with a greater awareness that simple is truly best. I don't have to have a real or the biggest tree I can find. I can make it knowing my sons love me whether they're with me or not, that I can work around dust and tools, and that everything doesn't have to be just so. And most of all that I was alive to enjoy and celebrate Christmas 2007.

I'm so thankful for this wonderful gift of Christmas.



Fun hints to set as New Year goals:
  • Learn a new joke
  • Make new friends
  • Wash your feet every day (please!)
  • Learn something new
  • Strive to be good!
  • Invite a friend for dinner


Quote:
You have every right to dream heroic dreams. Those who say that we're in a time when
there are no heroes, they just don't know where to look. -- Ronald Reagan




Blessings

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...