Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Did You Set Them?

New Year's Resolutions, that is.

I did and didn't.

I'd call them goals that I've set for 2008.

Here's a few of them:

  • Try to spend more time with God.
  • As my literary agent and her assistant wished me for Christmas: a sucessful published year. Oh, yeah!
  • To finish the three books I'm currently working on--soon! (one romance, one cozy, and one historical suspense)
  1. Once I finish the romance, I'll be done with romance for awhile, unless another idea hits me, and I hope not. I've got several others that need to be worked on.
  2. The cozy is just the first in a series, so who knows about that?
  3. And the historical suspense is the first in a three-book series about three red-headed sisters.
  • To begin soon (before spring?) the second in my CMIYC suspense. Since this is a long book, I need (want? hmmm) to get going on it.
  • To finish printing out hubby's (and mine) children's stories (his are adventure, mine character traits)
  • To learn the something new I've got my eye on.
  • To figure out how to get my fish pond biologically sound. Sigh.
  • I just read a great hint today about plotting a novel. Since I'm a pantster (one who writes as the ideas come -- a very simplified definition), that does a little plotting, but not a lot, this might be a great way to keep from hitting a writing plateau or a snag. I'm anxious to try it on the remainder of my books I need to finish.
  • Once my new writing area at home is finished, I'm going to try to get more organized. I hate having boxes of my "stuff" sitting around. I hope to make it cozy, quiet, homey, and an encouraging place to write.

There you have it. A few of the goals I hope to accomplish. Will I succeed? Maybe. Maybe not. But I'll never know till I try. One of my favorite sayings is: Shoot for the stars.

And, no, I haven't forgotten about the other books. Shar McClaren's and Lena N. Dooley (two). I'm giving this week for comments, emails, personal, phone. If you haven't commented, it's not to late to get ahold of me some way.

Communication hints (good for kids, hubby, wife, etc.)

Listen:

  • Stop what you're doing when the other person is talking, and pay attention
  • Don't interrupt
  • Don't prepare what you'll say while the other person is speaking
  • Reserve judgment until he/she has finished and has asked, or expects, a response.

Look:

  • Be aware of the other person's facial expressions and body language. This will help you know how the person is feeling.
  • During the conversation, ackowledge what the person is saying by moving your body forward if you're sitting; touch a shoulder if you're walking; or nod your head and make eye contact.

Respond:

  • Watch how you respond with words. "You should" "You're wrong" "If I were you" are ways that put the other person on the defense.
  • Don't ignore subjects even if you don't want to talk about it.
  • Sometimes it's better to listen than to respond verbally. Maybe the person just wants to get something off his chest.
  • Make sure you understand. Repeat for confirmation if necessary.

Quote: A new year is unfolding—like a blossom with petals curled tightly concealing the beauty within.
Lord, let this year be filled with the things that are truly good—with the comfort of warmth in our relationships, with the strength to help those who need our help and the humility and openness to accept help from others.
As we make our resolutions for the year ahead, let us go forward with great hope that all things can be possible—with Your help and guidance.
--anonymous

Blessings!

2 comments:

Belinda2 said...

I just finished reading Winter Pearl by Molly Noble Bull. It was fantastic!! I really enjoyed it! Thanks so much...

Happy New Year!!

Caroline said...

I'm so thrilled that you liked it. Why not go to her blog & tell her so? But if you don't want to, If you don't care, I'll send her your praise for it!

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...