Monday, July 21, 2008

More News . . .

Heard from my agent (after I could get some email). She said there was some more interest in my suspense when she went to a big time writing convention in Florida.

Promptly, she sent it out to that publishing house.

We'll see.

Can you hope

and think

and pray

with me

that that novel will find a home?

And then, for your amusement

and to show you what some (most) writers receive from publishers (who wish at times, that they hadn't let that "big fish" slip through its inky fingers), here are a few comments about some well known works:

  • The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame:
    'an irresponsible holiday story'
  • The Diary of Anne Frank:
    ‘The girl doesn’t, it seems to me, have a special perception or feeling which would lift that book above the “curiosity” level.’
  • Carrie by Stephen King
    'We are not interested in science fiction which deals with negative utopias. They do not sell.'
  • The Spy who Came in from the Cold by John le CarrĂ©
    ‘You’re welcome to le CarrĂ© – he hasn’t got any future.’

And these people . . .!

  • Judy Blume received "nothing but rejections" for two years. "I would go to sleep at night feeling that I'd never be published. But I'd wake up in the morning convinced I would be. Each time I sent a story or book off to a publisher, I would sit down and begin something new. I was learning more with each effort. I was determined. Determination and hard work are as important as talent."
  • The Dr. Seuss books got rejected more than 15 times before the author finally found an editor who accepted his work.
  • Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach was rejected 140 times before it was eventually published.
Sounds as if I'd better have:

Tough hide
Thick skin
Strong constitution
Resilency
Detemination
Persistence

And hope . . .


Never, never, never give up!
If I chant it enough will my dream come true?




Quote:
Wisdom never kicks at the iron walls it can't bring down. --Olive Schreimer


Blessings

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...