Thursday, August 28, 2008

An Interesting Thing . . .


What catches a writer's attention.

You all know my varied interests in writing. Of course, as I informed some of my critique friends the other day, most of my novels have a touch of suspense in them, even if they're romance. Can't help it. Love that suspense. Laugh.

But, we writers have a multitude of interests. Let me give you some examples:

Three of my critique friends novels they're working on right now:

M: contemporary, a little suspense with a lot of women's fiction in it.
S: contemporary, young adult
R: historical, mafia theme
J: contemporary with military touches (altho her real skill rests w/western historical
L: contemporary, archeological suspense
C (not me): historical, (one, a jazz, twenties period; another: civil war period)

There are so many possibilities out there that at times my mind boggles. I know--just from the top of my head--I have four stories I want to work on--or finish--not counting the series that I'm writing now. Some will take a lot of research, others not so much.

Where do we get them? Lots of places. Ideas from others. Events. Places of interest and history. Maybe a news item will spawn a thought that can be developed into a novel. An accident. A name. Or a phrase.

Thing of it is, I may run out of time before I get them all down.

I'd better get to work . . .


This is one of my favorites I've loved through the years. Quote:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. --Robert Frost


Blessings

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...