Wednesday, April 29, 2015

On Passionate Writing

When I face the desolute impossibility of writing 500 pages, 
a sick sense of failure falls on me.



Me: (What a daunting task! 
Can I ever get it done?
I fear not . . .) 

I know I can never do it.
This happens every time.

Me: (Every single time.
Never fails but the haunting fear of failing hovers
like a bird of prey . . .
taunting,
teasing,
assuring me I'll never get it done!)


Then, gradually, I write one page . . .
Then another.
One day's work is all I can permit myself to contemplate,
and I eliminate the possibility of never finishing.

Me: (Smile)

--John Steinbeck

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I think Mr Steinbeck has been reading my mind!

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...