Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Serious Wednesday: Researching What?

 

I LOVE research! Of course, I have to confess: I seldom stick to the ONE thing I'm researching. So
many interesting items pop up when you're researching, which means I detour to research those items that MIGHT be used someday.  


Here's a partial list of things I researched for my latest book: Hunter's Rose, book two of the Troubles in the West series:  


* Names. These are really important to me. I like to know what they mean and their country of origin.  Since one of my protagonists is Mexican, I wanted a Mexican name for her. Something authentic and pretty. After all, she came from an important family. Rosita is the name I picked.

*  Flowers. Since Rosita was a protagonist, I thought it fitting that she should love roses. Hunter, the other protagonist knew this and surprised her with a gift of roses.

* Trains. Rosita, traveling with an older friend on a train--I needed to know how fast it would go in the late 1800s, what meals might have been served, layovers, etc. 

* Food. I wanted to know foods that not only Rosita might prepare, but also on the train as she traveled. Quite interesting!



To me, research is important and a fun activity. I may not get everything exactly right, but I sure try hard to do so. 

Remember, authors, to do your research. You'll be glad you did. 

No comments:

Sunday Morning Sunshine: Autumn's Bright Blue Weather

 Autumn's Bright Blue Weather --Helen Hunt Jackson O suns and skies and clouds of June, And flowers of June together, Ye cannot rival fo...